After 65 years, events at Roswell, NM, still evoke thoughts of extraterrestrials

An illustration of the incident can be found at the Roswell UFO Museum. (Courtesy of Roswell UFO Museum)

An illustration of the incident can be found at the Roswell UFO Museum. (Courtesy of Roswell UFO Museum)

An illustration of the incident can be found at the Roswell UFO Museum. (Courtesy of Roswell UFO Museum)

An illustration of the incident can be found at the Roswell UFO Museum. (Courtesy of Roswell UFO Museum)

EL PASO – Rapidly moving and unusually powerful storms do hit the southwest of United States from time to time and one of them struck near Roswell, NM, in the late hours of July 4, 1947.

An aerial craft of unknown design was attempting to cross a rather desolate area some 75 miles northwest of Roswell when it was hit by a powerful bolt of lightning, according to witnesses, and crashed. So began a series of events that have had repercussions to this day.

Interview with Julie Schuster, Director of the Roswell UFO Museum

It should be noted that neither the craft nor the crash went unnoticed. Rancher Mac Brazel heard a loud noise different from the normal sounds of thunder. Two nuns at St. Mary’s Hospital in Roswell saw what they believed was an airplane crash in the distance. The tower at Roswell Army Airfield tracked the flight of the object and reported a “descending flash.” However, at the time no one knew just what had taken place.

The morning of July 5, 1947 Brazel went for the morning inspection of his range. Riding with him was his neighbor’s seven-year-old son, Dee Proctor. To his shock, they came upon a debris field 300 hundred yards wide and ¾ of a mile long. Brazel and his young helper dismounted and began to collect some of the smaller pieces of wreckage and soon filled a sack with what were described as strange pieces of metal.

The following morning Brazel went to see Sheriff George A. Wilcox in Roswell and made him aware of what had taken place. Wilcox, realizing he was out of his depth placed a call to the commander of Roswell Army Airfield, Colonel Blanchard who in turn alerted the base intelligence officer, Major Jesse Marcel. Marcel took a military sedan and followed Brazel out to his ranch. In 1947 over the primitive roads that crisscrossed the area, this was an all day trip so Marcel spent the night at Brazel’s ranch and on July 7, began the initial investigation of the crash site.

Marcel and Brazel spent the morning investigating the debris field and Marcel loaded his car with the strange material found at the site before leaving for town. Before returning to base, Marcel stopped by his home and his 11-year-old son Jesse Marcel, Jr. had the opportunity to handle the odd metal. Later Marcel showed his boss Colonel William Blanchard what he had found.

The military moved fast because the same day, July 7th Glenn Dennis, a local mortician got a call from Roswell Army Airfield asking about the number of child size caskets he had in stock and how soon he could get more. He was also asked how to preserve bodies that had been exposed to the weather. He answered questions as best as he could.

Later than day Dennis took an airman who had been riding a motorcycle and struck a cattle trick to the base hospital and at the emergency entrance saw an ambulance containing some strange items. Curious, Dennis went into the base hospital to see a nurse friend. She reacted strangely and told him to get out of there immediately. On the way out of the hospital he was stopped by military police and told he would die if he told anyone what he had seen.

The next day, July 8, 1947, Blanchard instructed 1st Lieutenant Walter Haut to issue a press release about recovering a flying saucer. At 2 p.m. the press release was issued and the world went nuts. The press release was later labeled a hoax by higher headquarters. That same day Colonel Blanchard sent Marcel and some of the debris to report to General Roger Ramey in Ft. Worth. Ramey had the debris spread out on the floor, sent Marcel out of the room and when he returned the debris he had brought had been replaced with pieces of a weather balloon.

Ramey ordered Marcel not to say a word, called in reporters and told them the weather balloon had been misidentified as a flying saucer.

At the same time, Brazel was held in custody by the military at Roswell and was “convinced” to modify his story to support the crashed weather balloon story. Brazel was not released until the afternoon of July 12th having been held in solitary for three days. Dennis met his nurse friend who drew him pictures of what he had seen on the examining table – a big-eyed alien. She had written down everything she could about what she had seen and heard. Shortly after this meeting, the next day, she was transferred to England and was then reported as having died. Ramey issued a press release to the Associated Press saying that the saucer story was just a weather balloon.

So ended the story of the alien crash at Roswell.

However, in the early 1990’s Stanton Friedman, a well-known UFO researcher and a nuclear physicist became aware of the story and began to investigate. The result was to become one of the best-known UFO events in the world.

Haut and Dennis opened the UFO museum and study center in Roswell. Every July 4 there is a UFO celebration in Roswell and the town is overwhelmed with visitors. This past year the UFO museum reported that more 150,000 persons visited the center, which have been so highly rated that NASA is in the process of lending it numerous artifacts that are integral parts of the history of man’s travels into space.

Did a flying saucer crash just outside of Roswell, New Mexico on July 4, 1947? Has our government conducted a cover up of the real facts for the last 65 years? The jury is still out, but if you have any interest in the question you should go to Roswell and visit the UFO Museum and Study Center.

5 thoughts on “After 65 years, events at Roswell, NM, still evoke thoughts of extraterrestrials

  1. What people don’t realize is that Roswell is a place of great selflessness and sacrifice on the part of the extraterrestrials or aliens. The spaceship that crashed at Roswell in 1947 was deliberately crashed into the ground by the aliens (resulting in the death of 3 or 4 of them) in order to draw the attention of mankind to their presence. Unfortunately the US government chose to cover it up. Someday this incident and place will be a memorial to their sacrifice and bravery. For more info see


    April 3, 2012

    Dear Editor or News Director:

    For those of you whom may be unaware of the writer of this letter: My name is Dave Aaron. In 1986 I created the UFO AUDIO VIDEO CLEARINGHOUSE. The worlds largest UFO audio-video library.

    I also had a very close encounter with a landed UFO on Feb 9, 1964, along with my late mother & father In Hacienda Hgts, Ca.

    Because of this event, I created THE UFO AUDIO VIDEO CLEARINGHOUSE, after the invention of the home VCR. (See YOU TUBE SEARCH DAVE AARON, LOOK FOR UFO EVIDENCE COLLECTOR, DAVE AARON, Play that icon.) We have supplied UFO footage to hundreds of UFO documentaries to countries all over the world. Co-edited ROSWELL (THE MOTION PICTURE.) Our address is UFO CLEARINGHOUSE, PO BOX 432-IN, YUCAIPA, CA 92399-0432 USA, EMAIL IS VIDEOWAITING@AIM.COM.

    I have received hundreds of emails, from all over the world regarding the case of our irreplaceable UFO AUDIOTAPES being destroyed by men in anti-bacterial suits in July of last year.(2011) (That was just about the time I release our DVD. “THE SECRETS OF UFO ALIEN PROPULSION.”)

    Gone forever are over 1,200 rare UFO RELATED RADIO PROGRAMS. Including

    (1) KFGL ROSWELL NM 1947 Walt Whitmore interviewing MAC BRAZEL TELLING OF THE CRASH OF AN UNKNOWN OBJECT NEAR HIS RANCH. (Recorded on a wire recorder and transferred to audio cassette by one of our over 185,000 members world wide.

    (2) NICAP’S Maj. DONALD KEYHOLE, ARMSTRONG CIRCLE THEATER. January 22, 1958,(CBS TV-RADIO NETWORK.) Titled “UFOs: ENIGMA OF THE SKIES.” (This program was pre-scripted by the United States Air Force) Year in the year 1958, Maj. Donald E. Keyhoe, Director of NICAP* (*THE NATIONAL INVESTIGATIONS COMMITTEE ON AERIAL PHENOMENA)[Later infiltrated by the CIA and totally destroyed.] When Maj. Keyhoe wanted to tell the truth about UFOS he diverged from the AIR FORCE’S script, his microphone was ordered turned off under orders from the Air Force Officer in the radio studio. This very rare broadcast was just obtained by THE UFOSTORE.COM available on MP3 download.

    (3) Louis Lomax KTTV-TV Los Angeles Nov 17, 1966, Barney & Betty Hills early first live TV interview on their history making case. Along with NBC MONITOR news UFO related radio reports, and many more UFO cases that are still part of UFO history. I found out that THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LIBRARY has this recording along with the boxes and boxes of information on the BARNEY AND BETTY HILL UFO CASE.

    Anyone remember Otis T. Carr, who tried to invent a round craft like a UFO, We had his story also. Also destroyed were all the records of where each audiotape & videotape could be found. I was able to save the videotapes, months earlier. Even the floppy disk were destroyed with the names and membership numbers of our members. (Their addresses were coded so only I knew their shipping address.)

    Including all the NICAP “On the spot interviews/investigations” conducted by NICAP’s field investigators. (Kindly donated by the late Richard Hall of NICAP, to our UFO AUDIO VIDEO CLEARINGHOUSE on reel-to-reel audiotape, which we transferred to audiocassette. (The CD was not yet invented.)
    I kept the roll of still photos I took that July day in 2011, unprocessed. Now I have processed the film and the photos show exactly what I have stated on a number of radio programs, which you can listen to over the Internet (GRALIEN REPORT)(21st Century Radio)(X ZONE RADIO-TV)(PAUL SMITH RADIO.)

    Here are the facts exactly as they happened: I have added the photos I took to the UFO web sites that I know of. If the photos don’t show up. Email me. I will send them to you.

    Why is the mainstream media not covering the story? Who is? The Internet and Internet radio.

    On a Monday in July 2011, I received a phone call from my former girlfriend stating that she was going to loose her home, this was my house. I moved to a much larger house, and would move items into my new home, as time permitted.

    We made arrangements to meet on Friday to remove all the VERY RARE UFO AUDIOTAPES out of the garage where they were stored, without any incident for many years.

    When I arrived at the house, men in white anti-bacterial suits covered the area. One of my neighbors ran up to me and told me that “Sherry” my girlfriend was found dead on Tuesday. I was in a state of semi shock.

    I got out of the car, took my camcorder, and started videotaping the men in the white anti-bacterial suits. “I was told that one of the men was going to get his gun and shoot me if I did not get out of the area at once“.

    Instead I drove to the Calimesa, Ca Police Department and told the officer at the desk what was happening. “That thousands of rare UFO AUDIOTAPES WERE BEING DESTROYED” He said that “It was a city matter, and I would have to take it up with the city (Which is closed on Friday’s because of budget constraints.)

    So instead. Risking being shot, I took the photos your about to see, by hiding in my auto. You will see my dashboard in one of the photos.

    Questions abound. If the house was red tagged by the city, and it says “NO ONE” REPEAT NO ONE MAY ENTER THIS STRUCTURE” Who were the men in the white anti-bacterial suits trashing around 55 years worth of rare UFO audio recording? Why would I be threatened with my life? And finally the mainstream media: Why won’t you take this information and run with it? I know the reason, because both the CIA and NSA control you.

    However you, the internet, with all it’s UFO sites can get this information out to every corner of the world, your more that welcome to publish the photos in any manor, as long as it tells the information in this letter.

    In closing, I am not Bill O’Reilly, or Rush Limbaugh. I don’t have a national TV or radio show to share this incredible report with.

    Yet before Bill O’Reilly was on the FOX news Channel, he did a little show called “NEW ENGLAND AFTERNOON”. Many of his guests were investigators or authors in the UFO field. Today Bill’s “No Spin Zone” is very quiet about the UFO cover up.

    But I do have you, the people who built the Internet UFO sites, and some friends in radio. The old Chinese Proverb states one photo is worth then thousands words. Attached are the photos of this event.

    All photos sent by my email VIDEOWAITING@AIM.COM are assured virus free.

    Most Sincerely

    Dave Aaron
    PO BOX 432-IN
    YUCAIPA, CA 92399-0432 USA


  3. Liberal Canadiens are free to keep their noses out of our elections. I minded my own business when you guys had yours.

Leave a Reply